A couple of recent news stories caught my eye and got me rummaging through my archives for a vaguely relevant compilation of tracks.
This week a Chinese-Indonesian resident, Huandra Limanau, says that Chief Brig. Hariyanto of the West Jakarta Police Traffic Unit called him him “Cina” when he refused to be ticketed. Pak Huandra has reported Haryanto to the police complaining of racism
Gov. Ahok has been accused by the self-styled Anti-Racist Residents (MARS) group of insulting the Betawi ethnic group because he named a cow ‘Betawi’.
Gov. Ahok is a Chinese-Indonesian. At a meeting on March 5th he was shouted at by councillors primarily from Muslim parties, and called a dog. That animal, and pigs, are considered unclean in Islam, so he was subjected to incredible abuse. During the election campaign, when Jokowi, now president, was chosen as the Governor and Ahok as his deputy, there were campaigns against Ahok on the grounds of his religion and ethnicity. They were like water off a duck’s back.
The above has absolutely no connection with these tracks.
01. Eno – China My China
02. Ciu Jian – Wild On The Snow (edit)
03. John Cale – China Sea
04. Japan – Visions Of China
05. Banco de Gaia – China (Clouds Not Mountains)
06. DigitalSimplyWorld – Night Train to Shanghai
07. Donald Fagen – Shanghai Confidential
08. David Torn – Snapping The Hollow Reed
09. Dennis Rea – Three Views From Chicheng Precipice (after Bai Juyi)
10. Shanghai Film Orchestra – Zen (Ch’an) Of Water
This one’s for Sisca Guzheng Harp.