“Jakarta’s floods and resulting traffic gridlock not withstanding, it’s been the kind of heat that makes you long for rain.”
I wrote that nearly two months ago, and little has changed. What I overlooked is that the traffic gridlock is a constant whatever the weather.
Here in Jakartass Towers, which none of us leave unless we have to, the heat is less of a problem than the dust. Although we live on a back street, it seems as though most of our neighbourhood residents and visitors can only get around on two or four wheels, so dust rises even on breezeless days. We are all coughing thanks to the dry irritation.
When the rains return, which may not be for another couple of months, trying to ignore our roof leaks we will empathise with those caught in flash floods and/or landslides, and will rejoice with the farmers.
Most of us will be able to sing along with Gene ….
… and you may enjoy these downloadable Rain Tracks too.
01. Ladysmith Black Mambazo – Rain, Rain, Beautiful Rain
02. Walker Brothers – Walking In The Rain
03. Chris Barber & His Band – Battersea Rain Dance
04. Frankie Miller – Dancing In The Rain
05. Esther Phillips – I Can Stand A Little Rain
06. John Martyn – Singin’ In The Rain
07. Sabah Habas Mustapha – Warm Rain Falls
08. Peter Skellern – Raining In My Heart
09. Randy Crawford – Let It Rain
10. Cowboy Bebop – Rain
11. Taj Mahal – Little Rain Blues
12. Tujiko Noriko – Through The Rain
13. Robert Wyatt – Raining in My Heart
And I dedicate this video to all those at Wimbledon who are ‘suffering’ in temperatures a bit lower than here in Jakarta.