Long before Indonesian musicians adopted western music forms, western musicians were influenced by Indonesian music forms, especially gamelan. Of note are classical composers such as Claude Debussy (1862 – 1918), Erik Satie (1866 – 1925), and Steve Reich (1936 – )
Read about and listen to more examples of the influence of Indonesian music on the west here.
That is a trend in jazz. Of special note to me is Neil Ardley’s Kaleidoscope of Rainbows recorded in 1976 with noted British jazz and prog-rock musicians. It is largely based around the five note Balinese pelog scale. Listen here.
These tracks are from my archives; download and enjoy.
1. Andy Summers – Umbrellas Over Java
2. Ana Alcaide – Debajo de los tilos
3. Don Cherry – Brown Rice
4. David Sylvian – Words With the Shaman – Part 3 Awakening (Songs From the Treetops)
5. Herbert Joss-Joe Koinzer Duo – Artetak
6. Food – Mictyris
7. Bill Bruford w. Ralph Towner & Eddie Gomez – Splendour Among Shadows