I had a single criteria in mind when I compiled this selection of tracks from my archives: could they be transposed for a gamelan group?
I’m not a musician, I can only play the fool because I know zilch about pentatonic scales, or which gong is which. But I am entranced by the ascending and descending repetition of gamelan, probably because it fits with my biorhythms or something.
The call and response from a variety of instruments and/or voices fits my need for some order as I’m drifted away.
I hope these tracks meet your needs too..
Sonar – Tromsø – Mesmerising!
1. Jon Hassell – Camminavo Nella Sera Piena Di Lilla’
2. Moondog – Log In B
3. David Byrne – Kish
4. David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto – Bamboo Houses
5. Herbert Joss-Joe Koinzer Duo – Abydos
6. Food – Mictyris
7. Penguin Cafe Orchestra – Cutting Branches For A Temporary Shelter
8. Eyvind Kang – Innocent Eye Crystal See