–3. Denny Sakrie, 51, senior historian of Indonesian popular music.
10. Tim Drummond, 74, bassist with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Bob Dylan +
17. Edgar Froese, 70, founder of Tangerine Dream (Phaedra ++)
19. Dallas Taylor, 66, the drummer best known for his work with Crosby, Stills & Nash
20. Ward Swingle, 87, founder of Les Swingle Singers (video)
25. Demis Roussos, 68, ‘pop’ singer: Aphrodite’s Child and solo. (The Four Horsemen fr. 666, the best album IMHO).
31. Don Covay, 76, R&B singer and songwriter who wrote hit songs covered by the Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Little Richard (video with Jimi Hendrix on guitar) and many more.
15. Lesley Gore, 68, singer It’s My Party +
21. Clark Terry, 91, jazz trumpeter, Mumbles (video)
27. Leonard Nimoy, 83, actor, (Dr. Spock), director (Three Men and Baby). and not very good singer.
13. Daevid Allen, 77, founder of Soft Machine and Gong; but no obituary can adequately describe his individuality.
—-“Nothing makes sense when you talk about Daevid Allen. Everything makes sense.”
16. Andy Fraser, 62, bassist with Free, co wrote All Right Now at 17.
21. Jackie Trent, 74, songwriter (with Tony Hatch)
–6. Errol Brown, 71, singer and songwriter (Hot Chocolate)
14. BB King, 89, crossover blues musician.
21. Twinkle (Lynn Annette Ripley), 66, singer and songwriter (Terry – with Jimmy Page on guitar.)
–1. Val Doonican, 88, Irish singer “at the heart of family weekend tv viewing in the 1960s and 70s“.
–6. Masabumi Kikuchi, 75, Japanese jazz pianist (A video ‘portrait’)
18. John Taylor, 72, the “much-loved, self-deprecating, whimsical and elegantly awe-inspiring British jazz pianist“, composer, teacher, mentor …
23. Eddie Hardin, 66, Hammond organist with the Spencer Davis Group and Hardin & York.
–4. Rico Rodriguez, 80, trombonist influential in 70s/80s British ska movement (listen)
21. Ray Warleigh, 76, saxophonist and flautist, composer. He played with everyone, in many styles! In this video, from earlier this year, aged 75 he was playing salsa in a London pub.
29. Phil Woods, 83, alto saxophonist (video: Freedom Jazz Dance + Ballad – Paris 1969)
“Half a century of quiet creation.”
28. Ian ‘Lemmy‘ Kilmister, 70, rock singer (Motörhead: Ace of Spades live)
29. John Bradbury, 62, drummer (2-Tone: Specials AKA, Selector)
31. Natalie Cole, 65, singer and daughter of Nat King Cole.