For any of you who may have wondered why it’s been nigh on a month since I last posted a compilation here, all I can say that I’ve been far from silent. Visitors to Jakartass Towers will have been aware of my fight with a bronchial infection. Readers of my blog will also be familiar with my battle with the banking bureaucracy and the ironically named ‘Customer Care’ department.
More positively, I’ve finished editing a book about tea. There’s also been the work involved in establishing a record label with the forthcoming release of a really remarkable solo jazz piano album by Bali-based Erik Sondhy.
So, strange though it may seem, I haven’t been listening to a lot of music recently, and it’s only now that I feel able to celebrate that ‘silence’.
What seems odd, though, is that so many jazz musicians also feel the call. That’s surely something of a paradox, yet this compilation is one of the most cohesive and satisfying that I’ve ever put together.
01. Tobias Christl – Sound of Silence
02. Arve Henriksen Quartet – The Silence In My Grandparents’ House
03. Eivind Aarset, Jan Bang – Black Silence
04. Jan Bang – Heidegger’s Silence
05. Avishai Cohen – Into The Silence
06. Splashgirl – Twixt It And Silence
07. Eberhard Weber – Broken Silence
08. Andy Sheppard Quartet – The Impossibility of Silence
09. Motion Trio – Silence
10. Andy Summers & Robert Fripp – Under Bridges Of Silence