My last compilation was given the appropriate name of Crap Covers and I promised that my next selection would be of ‘class’ covers.
And here it is. By happenstance rather than design, all the tracks are by women generally characterised as jazz singers, hence my title. However, none of the songs are known as ‘standards’ in jazz terms – yet.
Names in brackets recorded the versions of the song you may be familiar with.
01. Annie Lennox – Many Rivers To Cross (Jimmy Cliff)
02. Julie Tippetts (née Driscoll) – Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (Nina Simone/The Animals)
03. Petra Haden – I Can See For Miles (The Who)
04. Norma Winstone – Here Comes The Flood (Peter Gabriel)
05. Cassandra Wilson – Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
06. Rachel Unthank and the Winterset – Sea Song (Robert Wyatt)
07. Sara Isaksson & Rebecka Törnqvist – Do It Again (Steely Dan)
08. Sidsel Endresen & Bugge Wesseltoft – 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon)
09. Silje Nergaard – The Moon’s A Harsh Mistress (Writer: Jimmy Webb)
10. Susanna & The Magical Orchestra – Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)