Just occasionally the calendar provides a cluster of religious holidays. The dawn of the new millennium, 1999 – 2000, saw Christmas and Idul Fitri, the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan, conjoined in holiday splendour.
I only mention that because today is a public holiday here in Indonesia; it’s the Christian Ascension Day, and tomorrow is another public holiday, the Muslim Ascension Day. What that means in Jakartass Towers is that it will be a few very pleasant quiet days because the hordes have … ahem … ascended the hills surrounding the city and journeyed to points further away.
And that’s an excuse for a selection of God Songs from my archives.
01. The Beach Boys – God Only Knows (a cappella)
02. Billy Preston – That’s The Way God Planned It
03. World Party – And God Said
04. Crash Test Dummies – God Shuffled His Feet
05. Crowded House – There Goes God
06. Robert Wyatt – God Song
07. David Sylvian – God’s Monkey
08. Man – God Delusion
09. Richard Thompson – God Loves A Drunk
10. XTC – Dear God
11. Petra Haden – God Only Knows