How many stringed musical instruments can you name in the next two minutes?
Quick, note them down in this space while this background music is playing …
(Supplementary question: what are the instruments providing the beat behind Gwilym Simcock’s piano?)
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 …. right stop, time’s up.
Now divide them up into plucked, bowed, strummed, tapped, blown … blown?
I bet you all got ‘guitar’. You probably also got ‘violin’, but did you also have ‘piano’?’.
But did you note the Indonesian instruments kecapi, kantele and rebab?
This is the Wikipedia list of stringed instruments, but it doesn’t have kumongo which is among the instruments you’ll hear when you listen to the tracks in this compilation. Apart from guitar and bass, these are:banjo, Hardanger fiddle, harp, Moroccan lute, sarangi, sitar, ukekele, zither.
01. Deborah Henson-Conant – Baroque Flamenco
02. Sandy Bull – Carmina Burana Fantasy
03. Efrén López – O Γιος Του Λύκου (O Gios Tou Lykou)
04. Anton Karas – Zither Rhythm
05. Anoushka Shankar & Karsh Kale – Abyss
06. Black Brothers – Saman Doye
07. Bubi Chen – Bubuka
08. Jin Hi Kim – Silk to Metal
09. Joshua Abrams – Magnetoception
10. Lumen Drones – Svartaskjær
11. R. Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders – Moana March
(Each track has the name of the specific instrument in its comment box.)
A gig I missed … and you too?