Today is August 17th, when the Indonesian flag flies everywhere, including here.
It is a public holiday … whoopee … although kids go to school to salute the flag and sing Indonesia Raya, the national anthem. If they’re lucky, they’re allowed to go home afterwards and play communal street games.
It’s all part of their Nawacita (character building}, the successor government programme to Suharto’s Pancasila Demokrasi. But hey, this is my music blog, so if you want to know what Jakartass really thinks about national indoctrination, then have a read of my reasoned rant on my main site.
If you just read the titles of the tracks I’ve posted here, I think you’ll understand where I sit.
I think the music’s fine too, so I hope you like it.
01. William Shatner w. Lemon Jelly – Together
02. Otis Redding – Respect
03. Tina Turner – Show Some Respect
04. Yael Naïm & Arno & Guillaume Poncelet – Just As You Are
05. Urban Turban – Let’s Work Together
06. Lindisfarne – We Can Swing Together
07. Gamelan medley from Java, Sunda and Bali
08. Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet – Together We Will Live Forever